Stephen Mulhern Sad About BGMT Axe

By Cara Dudgeon

27th March 2020

Stephen Mulhern thinks its “a shame” Britain’s Got More Talent was axed

Image Source/ The Sun

The 42-year-old presenter has hosted the spin-off show for 13 years alongside the main Britain’s Got Talent programme, but it has now been dropped by ITV, much to the disappointment of the host, ‘BGT’ anchors Ant and Dec, and judges Simon Cowell, Alesha Dixon, David Walliams and Amanda Holden.

He told The Sun newspaper’s Bizarre TV column:

‘It’s a shame and when it was decided they weren’t going to do the ITV2 version I think the consensus among the boys and judges was this is a ­massive gap.

‘We did it from day one, when there were only three judges. Do I think it’s a shame? I do. We got away with a lot of stuff’.

And though Stephen has been busy with his primetime programme In For A Penny – which returns to screens on Saturdays (28.03.20) and though he can see similarities between offering challenges to members of the public to win £1,000 on the programme to the work he did on ‘BGMT’, he still “misses” the talent show spin off.

He said:

‘It is very ­similar in style to what we did on BGMT. But on that you did it with the judges and the nuggets we got were phenomenal.

‘Do I miss ‘BGMT’? The answer is yes. But that’s life’.

Stephen joined Ant and Dec on last week’s Saturday Night Takeaway as usual and admitted it was surreal working on the episode without the usual studio audience – but joked his pals were used to “small” crowds because of their pop past as PJ and Duncan.

He quipped:

‘The weirdest thing was that all I could hear was my own voice.

‘You know, Ant and Dec are used to playing to small audiences. They’ll hate me for saying that, but there you go’.

Next Post
[contact-form-7 id="114190"]