Scathing Strictly Come Dancing judge Craig Revel Horwood admitted he would rather quit the BBC ballroom show than accept being told to “tone it down”.
Image Source/ BT TV
The 54-year-old judge – who is known for his scathing remarks and critical style on the BBC Latin and ballroom show – has insisted he would rather step down from the panel than change tact when it comes to addressing the celebrity contestants and their professional partners.
Speaking to The Sun newspaper, he said:
‘Every year I get told to tone it down and I don’t listen. Of course I won’t be toning it down this year.
‘I’m going to be just like I’ve been for 16 years. I’m not changing for anyone, if that’s the case I’d rather not judge it. It will never work darling, I’ve got too much of a big mouth’.
Craig – who appears on the panel alongside Bruno Tonioli, Shirley Ballas and new judge Motsi Mabuse – added that he feels “dispensable” because the show itself is far bigger than any individual.
‘It is just a Saturday job, Monday to Friday I choreograph and dance, but Strictly is a very small part of it.
‘We are all dispensable, I expect they would replace me with someone else. It’s not me who has gone onto 56 countries worldwide, it’s the show and the format’.
His comments come after he was forced to apologise to Kevin Clifton and Stacey Dooley earlier this month after joking about the relationship between last year’s ‘Strictly’ champions and claiming they proved that it “helped” the contestants if they slept with their professional partners.
He later said:
‘I’m deeply sorry for the offence caused to Kevin and Stacey and everyone who works on the show.
‘I recognise that what I said was hurtful, cruel and incredibly disrespectful. It was a huge error of judgment that I very much regret’.