By alextaylor

2nd January 2019

It’s easy to forget that celebrities are just like the rest of us ordinary folk (minus the luxury lifestyles, million dollar mansions and flash cars of course!).

What I’m trying to say is…that we often hold celebs to a higher standard than we do ourselves, and as a result we expect more from them. Whether we want them to be empowering icons or role models for our children, these stars have no way of escaping public scrutiny…

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the reality is no matter how famous someone gets, they will never be the flawless extraterrestrial being that we conjure up in our minds.

Each time we flick through the newspaper, switch on the TV or scroll through Instagram, we are met with at least one famous face who has been behaving badly…

Addiction, whether it be alcohol or drugs, is a harsh reality that is closely linked with fame; many of our favourite celebs have lost their lives to their habits over the years…

From A-List actors and top musicians; to documentary hosts and children’s show presenters -you will be shocked to discover just how many famous lives have been cut short by (accidental or otherwise) overdoses.

Prepare yourself for some shocking discoveries…

1. Prince…

”Purple Rain” singer Prince is thought to have struggled with an opiate addiction for a number of years before his death in 2016. The star was found dead in April that year, after having taken an accidental overdose of fenatyl – which he likely believed was a weaker painkiller.


Image Source

2. Philip Seymour Hoffman…

On February 2, 2014, actor Philip Hoffman was found dead in the bathroom of his Manhattan apartment, after taking a lethal cocktail of drugs: including heroin, cocaine, benzodiazepines and amphetamines. His death was ruled accidental, although it did come as a shock to those who knew him as it was claimed Hoffman had been clean for a while.

Image Source

3. Tom Petty…

In 2017, musician Tom Petty – frontman of ”Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers” – was discovered unconscious in his home in full cardiac arrest. After being rushed to hospital, it was determined that the singer had accidentally overdosed on fentanyl, oxycodone, emazepam, alprazolam, citalopram, acetyl fentanyl, and despropionyl fentanyl! He died later that evening.

Next Page

Advertisement