Today is an absolute scorcher for us Brits. After spending weeks complaining we never get any sun, most of us have probably spent today cursing at our sweat patches wishing the bloody sun would get lost.
In a country that rarely sees the sun, most of do not have air conditioning units installed or fans in our homes. To keep cool we’re likely to turn to a Mr Whippy and a nice bottle of cold water.
Whilst it is so so important to drink lots of water on these sunny days, refilling our plastic water bottles could actually be doing us more harm than good, and this is why…
According to scientists the tiny little ridges and cracks in plastic bottles are a breeding ground for bacteria and are perfect for harbouring dangerous germs, such as the norovirus.
Completely disinfecting the bottles would get rid of any bacteria, but most of us simply rinse the bottles, allowing the bacteria to multiply.
One study, published in the Canadian Journal of Public Health showed even more shocking results.
We took 76 samples of water bottles used by school students and found nearly two-thirds of the samples had bacterial levels that exceeded that of drinking water guidelines. This may have been the result of “the effect of bacterial regrowth in bottles that have remained at room temperature for an extended period.
Washing with a mild soapy water can keep the bacteria at bay for a while, but the bottles are difficult to clean properly and the germs can still build up.
Also, frequent usage and washing will cause breakdown of the plastic, especially if washed at too high a heat.
And for all you environmental fanatics, reusing these bottles isn’t even helping the planet, as the act of individually washing each bottle uses natural resources and puts soap and detergent into water supplies.
Moral of the story; use a glass or a refillable container.
Make sure to SHARE this post to spread the word!